Fleet 518 will be holding the Poquosen Challenge & Crabkill, sponsored by Yuengling, on August 19 if there is enough interest. Please let Jim Dillard know if you can attend, along with the following information:
- I’ll be there with ____ others
- Would you like a bed? (bring sheets and towels, 1st come…)
- How many w/ eat crab? Need to know as they are the big cost
Registration is $5, dinner is $20/ person. Remember we usually sail w/ 2 but more are OK too.. So if you wo/ like to join us please let Jim know. We need at least 7 boats.
Notice of Regatta
The Poquoson Challenge is a one-day event sponsored by Fleet 518 and will be held on the beautiful Poquoson River just south of the York River on Saturday, July 29, 2017. This is strictly a fun regatta. You can sail with one person or as many as you like. There will be no on shore skippers meeting. Check in at 38 foot white sailboat. The first race will start at 1:00. There will be 4 or 5 short windward /leeward races finishing to windward. One line at committee boat for start and finish. These races will be governed by the “Racing Rules of Sailing.” No protests, please.
Racing will be followed by a crab and beer feast (barbecue will be available) at Jack & Lynn Shepherd’s — 218 Kings Grant Dr.. PLEASE LET JIM KNOW HOW MANY IN YOUR GROUP WOULD LIKE CRAB OR BARBQUE! Yuengling will be the beer!
The after race party will be Entrance fee: $5.00. Dinner $20.00/ person. Public launching is available on the Poquoson with a tow available if needed. Please see the NOR for directions and additional details.
The Poquoson Challenge is a one-day fun regatta sponsored by Fleet 518. The regatta will be held on the beautiful Poquoson River just south of the York River on Saturday, August 6. Racing will be followed by a Racing will be followed by a crab and beer feast (barbecue will be available as well). The NOR is posted below. Please contact Jim Dillard (703.323.7354 or firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions. Who’s headed to Poquoson for the fun?
Poquoson Challenge & Crab Kill NOR
Many thanks to Lisa-Marie for this writeup and the photos from the 2015 Poquoson Challenge and Crab Kill. We had several Fleet 50 members take part (Christy, Lisa-Marie, Red, Sue, and John), and it Sounds like a great time was had by all! Follow this link for a writeup and results, and this link for photos. A big thank you to Jim Dillard and his family and friends for putting on the regatta once again this year!
Poquoson Challenge & Crab Kill July 18
The Poquoson Challenge is a one-day event sponsored by Fleet 518 and Yeungling and will be held on the beautiful Poquoson River just south of the York River on Saturday, July 18th. The Entrance fee is $10.00 and dinner is $5.00 / person.
This is an informal fun regatta that allows you to sail w/ one or as many as your boat will take. The first race is scheduled to start at one PM on Saturday afternoon with four or five short windward/ leeward races planned. Races will be governed by the the “Racing Rules of Sailing.” No protests, please (this is supposed to be fun). Public launching is available on the Poquoson with a tow available if needed.
Racing will be followed by a crab and beer feast. Hamburgers/hotdogs will be available. Yeungling will be the beer! The party will be held at 238 King’s Grant Dr. Yorktown, VA.
Sunday offers a wonderful opportunity to day sail to the Bay or visit historic Yorktown or the world class Mariner’s. Everyone that has attended has had a great time.
Fleet 518 is looking forward to hosting our their one-day regatta — the Poquoson Challenge & Crab Kill — on the beautiful Poquoson River on Saturday, July 19. This is a fantastic, fun regatta with a great party afterwards and the chance for some pleasure sailing on Sunday. The drive is three hours from DC area via I95, RT 17 (nice drive, police, but few trucks and cars), or 95, 64 and 17.
Keep reading for the full NOR, directions, and additional information. For sign up or additional info please contact: Jim Dillard (703 323 7354 / email@example.com).
We’ve got some great sailing opportunities in the month of August! Take a look below, sign up on the regatta websites, and get ready to race!
First, don’t forget about our Fleet Tuning Day on Saturday, August 3 (1:00 p.m. at WSM). This is a great chance to tune your boat, meet some new faces in the fleet, and hear from some of our experienced fleet sailors. If the weather is good, we’ll go for a sail as well! Visit the Tuning Day website to sign up so we know who’s coming and to read all the additional details.
Once you have your boat tuned, you’re all set for the late summer and fall racing season! Here’s the rundown of our upcoming Dixie District regattas and other sailing opportunities:
- Fishing Bay Yacht Club One Design Regatta, August 10-11. Ron Buchanan can get a start for the Lightnings if at least 7 commit, so let Ron know if you’re interested and sign up on the ILCA “who’s coming” list (using the link above).
- Poquoson Challenge and Crab Feast, August 17. A great regatta and a fun party! Let Jim Dillard (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you’re coming!
- DC Sail Cantina Cup, August 17. We hope you can make it down to Poquoson to support Jim and his regatta, but if you’re stuck in DC on the 17th then you might consider the Cantina Cup — DC Sail’s annual fundraiser, which combines some fun racing with a great party.
- Duck Challenge (Havre de Grace), August 24-25. The folks up in Fleet 192 always put on a great regatta and throw a great party, so sign up now on the ILCA “who’s coming” list (using the link above)!
- PRSA President’s/Leukemia Cup, September 7-8. This is PRSA’s flagship fall regatta, and also a chance to raise some funds for a great cause. Sign up now on the PRSA regatta webpage (use the link above) so we know that you’re coming. If you are interested in raising funds, you can indicate that when you register and the LLS will send you additional information.
We hope to see you out on the water soon!