The DC Sail Cantina Cup will be held on Saturday, August 9. This is a great regatta for a great cause given all of the fantastic work that DC Sail does. The NOR and links to the online registration form are posted here: http://dcsail.org/cantina-cup
For Lightnings the suggested donation is $50 (this includes one ticket to the super-fun after party at Cantina Marina; additional tickets are $25 each). Racing will be held in our normal north course race area. Who’s going to join in the fun?
We’ve got some great sailing opportunities in the month of August! Take a look below, sign up on the regatta websites, and get ready to race!
First, don’t forget about our Fleet Tuning Day on Saturday, August 3 (1:00 p.m. at WSM). This is a great chance to tune your boat, meet some new faces in the fleet, and hear from some of our experienced fleet sailors. If the weather is good, we’ll go for a sail as well! Visit the Tuning Day website to sign up so we know who’s coming and to read all the additional details.
Once you have your boat tuned, you’re all set for the late summer and fall racing season! Here’s the rundown of our upcoming Dixie District regattas and other sailing opportunities:
- Fishing Bay Yacht Club One Design Regatta, August 10-11. Ron Buchanan can get a start for the Lightnings if at least 7 commit, so let Ron know if you’re interested and sign up on the ILCA “who’s coming” list (using the link above).
- Poquoson Challenge and Crab Feast, August 17. A great regatta and a fun party! Let Jim Dillard (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you’re coming!
- DC Sail Cantina Cup, August 17. We hope you can make it down to Poquoson to support Jim and his regatta, but if you’re stuck in DC on the 17th then you might consider the Cantina Cup — DC Sail’s annual fundraiser, which combines some fun racing with a great party.
- Duck Challenge (Havre de Grace), August 24-25. The folks up in Fleet 192 always put on a great regatta and throw a great party, so sign up now on the ILCA “who’s coming” list (using the link above)!
- PRSA President’s/Leukemia Cup, September 7-8. This is PRSA’s flagship fall regatta, and also a chance to raise some funds for a great cause. Sign up now on the PRSA regatta webpage (use the link above) so we know that you’re coming. If you are interested in raising funds, you can indicate that when you register and the LLS will send you additional information.
We hope to see you out on the water soon!
We were thrilled to have 5 Fleet 50 Lightnings (Frank, Bobby, Aaron, Chris, and Red) participate in the 2012 DC Sail Cantina Cup on August 11. We ended up having a fantastic day for the racing as well, with a consistent southerly 10-12 kt breeze that allowed the DC Sail RC to set up a nice, long W-L course and get us 5 races on Saturday afternoon with plenty of time to spare for the energetic after party.
Congratulations to Frank and Maryann Gallagher for a great job on the water to win first place and take possession of one of the coveted Cantina Cup victory trophies – an absolutely massive cup (filled with a tantalizing mystery drink, I’m told!). Race results are posted here. Thanks to John Kircher, Erin Helland, and Molly Riley, we also have lots of great photos from the regatta, which you can view via the link on our Fleet 50 Photos/Videos page.
Looking for another chance to race on the river, support a great cause while doing it, and then enjoy a fun celebration? Sign-up for the 2011 DC Sail Cantina Cup! This fun event is both a racing regatta and a fundraiser for DC Sail. The regatta will be held on October 1 and sailed off of Hains Point in the area where we normally sail our Sunday Series races. I’ve posted Sailing Instructions below (click the “Continue Reading” link) along with some additional information. Both the racing and the after party promise to be great fun! For more information please contact: Emily Rodegast (email@example.com) or Blair Overman (firstname.lastname@example.org) at DC Sail.