Mark your calendars for the 2014 Fleet 50 Annual Meeting and Awards Banquet, which will take place on Saturday, February 22, 6:00-9:00 pm! Rose Gentile has generously offered up her home once again for a potluck evening (thanks Rose!). Please bring a dish to share, some beverages to share, your favorite folding chair, and lots of good cheer!
There are five important things you should do between now and the party:
- List the number in your party and the food/beverages you are bringing (so we can get a good mix of appetizers, main courses, salads, side dishes, desserts, and beverages) on the Potluck Sign-Up Sheet.
- Submit your nominations for fleet awards on the 2014 Fleet Awards Nominations Form. Each award is described below and also on the nomination form. You may nominate more than one person for each award (just re-visit the link). This is always a fun part of the annual meeting, so make sure to nominate your fellow fleet members!
- Submit your nominations for the 2014 Fleet 50 Board of Officers. We are accepting nominations for all of the board positions (click here for position descriptions). As a volunteer organization, we work best as a fleet with a full slate of officers. The workload is minimal, especially when each person takes on just a few tasks. You can submit your nominations via the Fleet 50 Board of Officers Nomination Form.
- Review the proposed language for two motions that will be voted on at the Meeting.
- Pay your dues! Now is a great time to take care of your 2014 Fleet 50 dues ($20 skipper dues) and PRSA dues ($90 skippers; $25 associates). Bring your checkbooks to the banquet, or pay online. Take care of this before we start racing and you’re set for the whole season!
Keep reading for directions and additional details on the fleet awards and board positions!
Google Map to Rose’s Home (606 S. Payne St., Alexandria VA, 22314). Rose notes that the neighbors would prefer if you could please park on the graveyard (west) side of the street. Rose’s home phone is 703-548-2021 and her cell is 703-401-7857 in case you have any questions about directions/parking.
6:00-7:00: beverages and appetizers
7:00-8:00: potluck dinner
8:00-9:00: business meeting and awards
Our various general, skipper-nominated, and crew-nominated awards are described below. We will also award several performance awards (no nomination needed) at the banquet. Please submit your nominations via the 2013 Fleet 50 Awards Nomination Form.
General Nomination Awards
- Bungle Bucket: The recipient of the Bungle Bucket award will be the Fleet 50 skipper who has demonstrated exceptional instances of lapses of sailing judgment that resulted in humorous or entertaining outcomes.
- Fleet Helper: The recipient of the Fleet Helper award will be a Fleet 50 member who has gone above and beyond in terms of their volunteerism and service to the fleet.
Skipper Nominated Awards
- High Impact Crew: Recipients of the High-impact Crew award must have sailed for one or more Fleet 50 skippers in Fleet 50 racing events. Winners will be determined based on strength of nominators’ citations, for making a significant difference in the racing performance of the boat or boats, commitment to racing, and support of the fleet. The winners may not also receive awards for Best New Crew; Most Improved Crew; or Fleet Helper.
- Best New Crew: Recipients of the Best New Crew award must have completed their first season of racing for Fleet 50 skippers in Fleet 50 racing events. Winners will be determined based on strength of nominators’ citations, for commitment to racing; sailing skill; and support of the Fleet. The winners may not also receive awards for High-impact Crew; Most Improved Crew; or Fleet Helper.
- Most Improved Crew: Recipients of the Most Improved Crew award must have completed their second or subsequent season of racing for Fleet 50 skippers in Fleet 50 racing events. Winners will be determined based on strength of nominators’ citations, for improved sailing skill, commitment to racing; and support of the Fleet. The winners may not also receive awards for High-impact Crew; Best New Crew; or Fleet Helper.
Crew Nominated Awards
- Team Spirit Skipper: The recipient of the Team Spirit Skipper award will be the skipper that makes racing/regattas a fun experience and does a great job fostering a team spirit on board, improving skills, encouraging participation. This has to do with competitive spirit but also patience on board and ability to make it a pleasant rather than stressful learning experience for the team as a whole, regularly attending races/going out there and doing their best regardless of performance.
- Most Congenial Skipper: The recipient of the Most Congenial Skipper award will be the Fleet 50 skipper who always seems ready to share a smile, some advice over a beer, makes people feel especially welcomed in the fleet, at the marina, and on their boat – and even better if they provide great lunches/refreshments/beer for their crew, or something to share on the grill after racing.
- Skipper of the Year: The recipient of the Skipper of the Year award will be a Fleet 50 skipper who has demonstrated exceptional instances of support of the fleet, bravery, good judgment, and commitment to racing. The nomination has no correlation to how good of a skipper they are. This has to do w/ personality, fun, skill — basically a popularity vote. In addition to the appropriate merchandise award, there is a perpetual trophy of a wood-framed mirror.
Performance Awards (no nomination required)
- Most Improved Skipper: awarded to the skipper who has improved their cumulative score in the Championship Series from the prior year by the largest number of positions.
- All Weather Crew: awarded to the crew who sails the most race days on a Lightning.
- Bloody Rudder Award: awarded to the skipper who travels to the most qualifying regattas in the season.
- Iron Skipper Award: awarded to the skipper who had the most race days on the water, including local and out-of-town events and days on the water serving on Race Committee.